25 Insane Facts About Promotional Products
Promo products professionals are no stranger to the power of promotional products, and if you’re in the promo business, you probably already know just how impactful they can be for a company or organization. But unless you’ve been around since the beginning, you might not know all these cool facts!
1. The first imprinted promotional products were used by George Washington in 1789 as a part of his campaign for president. They didn’t mention that in Hamilton!
2. 8 in 10 people like receiving promotional products.
3. …and 7 in 10 people wish they received promotional products more often!
4. 96% of consumers want to know ahead of time when companies offer promotional products.
5. Virtually everyone who receives promotional products will keep at least one.
6. Jasper Meek started using burlap bags to promote small businesses in 1896. He was even dubbed the “Father of Promotional Products”!
7. Almost 9 out of 10 people can recall the company that gave them branded promotional products.
8. The top five industries purchasing promo products are the business services, education, healthcare, manufacturing, and financial industries.
9. The biggest reason consumers decline to keep a promotional product is because they have no use for it. However…
10. 79% of people pass along promotional products that are no longer valuable to them by regifting, selling, or donating the items. That means they end up in even more hands!
11. The top 5 promotional products categories in 2019 were wearables, drinkware, travel items, technology, and writing.
12. Consumers love promotional products! 91% of consumers keep promotional products such as mugs in their kitchens.
13. When given branded promotional products by their employer, 59% of employees have a more favorable impression of their workplace.
14. 99% of people say that they’re willing to go out of their way to get a promotional product.
15. And 9 out of 10 people say that they already have gone out of their way to get a promo product!
16. In 2019, the promotional products industry did over $24 billion in sales.
17. 85% of product recipients did business with the advertiser who gave them the item.
18. Advertisers love promotional products, too. 70% of ad agencies consider promotional products to be effective or highly effective!
19. When people were asked why they keep the promo products they received, the top three answers were that the items were fun, functional, and trendy.
20. Nearly 6 out of 10 people say that they would enter sweepstakes, contests, or raffles to win promotional products.
21. Promotional products that reference pop culture and current trends appeal mainly to Gen Z consumers, while Baby Boomers respond to products that carry an important message more than any other age group.
22. More than 60% of people who receive promotional products will look the brands up online later.
23. Almost half of consumers feel more confident doing business with companies that use branded decor or furniture.
24. Three-quarters of consumers say that promotional products make their experiences more memorable.
25. 80% of people have an immediate reaction when they receive promotional products from companies they’ve never heard of.
You’re practically a promo fact expert now! Send this article to your customers, prospects, and any promo skeptics you know to show them just how powerful marketing with promotional products can be.
2019 Consumer Study, PPAI Research
2019 Sales Volume Study, PPAI Research